News Articles

Restored Battery Park monument reminds public of NYC origin

Donated during tercentenary of 1926

Tags: Excerpts from the Windmill

NEW YORK, N.Y. - A monument given by the Netherlands to New York City in 1926 to mark the tercentenary of the founding of Nieu Amsterdam, was recently rededicated after its restoration had been completed. The Netherlands Monument which stands at a point along the original shoreline of the Dutch settlement, is a ‘potent reminder of the city’s origin’, according to veteran NYC parks commissioner Henry J. Stern.

At the unveiling ceremony, Stern was assisted by Mr. Pieter van Vollenhoven, the husband of Princess Margriet who along with other officials looked on.

The flagpole monument at Battery Park which has inscriptions in Dutch and English was given to the city through the efforts of, among others, the Netherlands-America Foundation (NAP). The eighty-year old group also spearheaded the restoration. The NAP has committed itself to take care of future maintenance costs and has established a fund for that purpose.

The restoration was made possible through the generosity of ABN Amro Bank, Heineken, KLM, Philips, Dr. K.W. Korthals Altes, H.J. van de Roemer and Voigt Maritime Inc.